DEDICATION

This blog is dedicated to the restoration of the Austin Healey 3000...among the most desirable of all British sports cars.

Monday, February 27, 2012

STRIPPING PAINT

It was just more of the same today.  Bill was off sick and Don spent the day prepping body parts for primer.  I was busy ordering paint.  
Finding the formula for colors this old is not easy.  Products have changed, therefore formulas have changed.    Lacquer paint was used when the car was built so lacquer needs to be used to restore the finish.  To date I have been able to find only one supplier for lacquer.  It appears, that I will need to go to Atlanta to purchase this paint.    Five quarts of lacquer costs almost a thousand dollars.  The last time I bought it, I spent fifty.  Times, they are a changin'. 
My local paint supplier representative is coming by the shop tomorrow to look at the existing finish and make recommendations.  He is also bringing more epoxy primer and chemical stripper for the aluminum panels.

Stay tuned,
Tom McCurry

No comments:

Post a Comment