DEDICATION

This blog is dedicated to the restoration of the Austin Healey 3000...among the most desirable of all British sports cars.

Monday, July 30, 2012

PREPARING FOR UPHOLSTERY

My crew was on holiday today, so I worked in the shop alone.  I spent about half a day putting the finishing touches on the seat frames.  A small wooded strip is fixed to the bottom of the seat back on the bucket seats.  It is used to fasten the upholstery material to the metal frame.  One of them was missing.  I fabricated the tack strip and fastened it to the seat back.  
I also applied the finish coats of paint to the rear seat pans.  I used a semi-gloss black urethane paint to duplicate the original.  The bottoms of the seat pans are visible from underneath the car so it is imperative the the coating duplicates the original.
There are several upholstered panels on the Healey that have a plywood backing.  At this point, I do not know if this backing is included in the upholstery kit.  The kit should arrive sometime this week and we will begin the upholstery process, whatever it requires.


Sorry, no pictures today.
Tom McCurry



No comments:

Post a Comment